Reporting Repairs 
You must report to us, as soon as possible, any damage to the house, the common parts or loss or damage to the property.  You can do this in person, telephone, email, facebook or through our report a repair form on our website.  You can arrange for someone else to do this on your behalf. 

Emergency Repairs
To report and emergency repair please phone City Building on 0800 595 595.

Central Heating Repairs
Glasgow City Building are the Associations contractor for Gas Central Heating. If you have a problem with your boiler please call 0800 595 595. Lines are open 24hrs a day 365 days a year.

Are you Satisfied with your repair?
It is important to the Association that we hear your views on the standard of the repairs service we offer. It is vitally important that you return the tenants’ satisfaction questionnaire after your repair has been carried out. This will allow us to monitor our contractors and improve their performance if necessary. When you request a repair by the Association, we send you a questionnaire that asks about the quality and standard of our repairs service. It also informs you of when your repair should be completed. Please let us know as soon as possible after if your repair has not been completed on time through telephone, survey monkey or our tenant satisfaction questionnaire and our maintenance staff will pursue the contractor on your behalf.  Each returned questionnaire is entered into our free quarterly prize draw.